see also rendering in porcelaine
NO COMMENT - AN OCCUPY WALL STREET SHOW
AN OCCUPY WALL STREET SHOW ORGANIZED BY OCCUPY WALL STREET PEOPLE AT 23 WALLSTREET opposite the STOCKEXCHANGE, OCTOBER 8, 2011
It was held on the premisses of a bank building that once was headquater of G.P. MORGAN (I was told) and is in between new tenants.
The massive police presence resembled a stiff performance nobody could so easily reenact. This 'shock and awe' type of police presence definitley gave the show the currency and hard edge which the group show itself couldn't produce due the nearly total abscence of the art world as we know it.
It was a one day event.. -- beatiful, chaotic, with little art world feel (the usual art world people you could count on 2 hands) - Instead everything had a lot of the vib, people and energy as we get it from the near by protest plazza. - carnevalesque (in a good sense) - colorful, folk-arty - with street art wit. But there were nontheless some very beautiful performances (apart from the police) I will not so easily forget.
My work was a CREDIT CRUNCH MEAL on two relatively small tables I covered with the heat preserving reflectiv blankets the protesters use to keep themselves warm during nights on the floor. There I was always asked why I use frutis and veggies which I answered as follows: Since the economic terms and processes are so abstract I opted for the simplicity and the humanity of simple food which becomes absent for people who become victims of these abstract economic maneuvrings. The bailout money for banks is now pushing souveregn states like Greece and others into insovlency and creates real effects taht can be felt even on the table of people. People also asked whether the pig head was real. Yes it was. (When I picked the pig head up i was told that the painter who uses blood for his crosses (Herman Nitsch) was also buying his blood form him.
Assistance: Armandine Goux Jordan.
the uncanny part with this pig head was that you could suddnely see a face in the back which grew nastier and ugglier by the hour.
-see also rendering in porcelaine
MARX DID SAY: PROPER TEA IS THEFT. he himself only drank lemon grass - see also rendering in porcelaine
99 Percent is the slogan for the OCCUPY WALLSTREET protests refering to the 1 % that doesn 't own the majority of the USA: I turned it around and speak about the 1 % making the rest - 99 % - look like some litle footnote.
it got bloodier by the hour - and the man got angrier by the hour
the location of the event (paid by the organizer - it was not a scatted event) came with a particular unrequested "police protection we got" -- NYPD calls it "baby sitting protesters."
here the outside of the bank building wiht all the dangerous elements that came to see the exhibitions. below the NY stock exchange opposite. two our chagrin, nobody attacked the exchange building. the overwhelming police force convinced us that this would be a losing proposition, otherwise there might have been artists or public that might have constituted a threat to the stock exchange bulding.
in order to keep the police in mood.. --- since we would have felt lonely without their protection . some projected some video images to them:
see a video made by Michael Bernstein with me on the site (I was interviewed non-stop so there should be more out there.. - it as quite a media zoo)